28 April 2010

You say orange, I say orange

Tonight at dinner David was pointing out how 2/3 of our house say orange one way, as one syllable. He says it a different way, making it more like a syllable and a half.

This is something he does in homage to his dear grandmother, whom I didn't know, but apparently had an amazing handle on the English language, as well as a few others. By this, I mean, very particular and aware of the rules of the language. If I need to know where to put the apostrophe, he is the man. But he is also the man to ask about math. Hmmm.

Back to tonight. As I said orange, then he said orange, then I said it again, Lexi joined in and proved she says it like I do. Then she laughed and said, "We are playing a game about orange!"

We both smiled and laughed out loud. Yes we are, aren't we little smarty?

1 comment:

s as in tset said...

Funny. I was intrigued. Now I'm not sure how to pronounce it - ha!

BTW -- now you can teach her the orange knock, knock joke. ;)