26 October 2009

Grandma Grandpa come Lexi's house!

About 3 weeks before my parents came to visit, David decided to tell Lexi about it. 3 weeks. We heard about it A LOT. But that's ok. Because she was so excited that grandma and grandpa were riding on an airplane and they were coming to Lexi's house! They were coming to stay at Lexi's house! The whole time they were here she would tell us as we were heading back to our house from somewhere that Grandma and Grandpa were going to Lexi's house again. She had a great time playing with them and we really did a lot while they were here. Hope we didn't wear you out!

The drive to the airport is about 1.5 hours. That's any of three, it's about the same. So we got in the car, armed with books and food and we went to pick my mom and dad up at the airport. They came in late morning and I thought that since we were already in DC we should do something there before heading back. We headed to the zoo and it was great. The real entertainment was getting there, or getting gas on the way there, actually, in the middle of DC. I missed a few turns so thank goodness for GPS technology! But getting gas was really something. My dad spotted an Exxon station so I made a quick turn off. Great reaction time! But then pulling up to the pump it was something like $3.39 a gallon. WHAT? I looked across the street and saw this little gas station on an island. It said $2.68. That sounded better! Now how do I get over there? It was interesting. Then actually getting in to the little tiny station with two vans trying to get gas? Also interesting. Then trying to get out of the gas station in the right direction so I could get back to the road I had been traveling on? Well, entertaining for sure. I had to loop around and back through the station, threading the car through a small spot between a van and a curb to get out heading the direction I needed to go. If you click the Google Maps link below, you can see the intersection(s) I'm talking about. The red "D" is just down from the Exxon, the red "A" is on the station I got gas at. You won't understand because apparently DC was deserted when the satellite photo was taken, but it will give you some clue.

Google Map of the gas stations

And we made it to the zoo. It was wonderful! It was cool and it wasn't crowded and she got to walk around with Grandma and Grandpa. We got to see a lot of animals and she did so much walking! I can't even understand how much walking she can do on those little legs!

The leaves were very exciting. She picked out one or two very special ones. At one point she left on on a bench and realized it a little later and stopped in her tracks, asking for it. Of course later when we walked by that same bench Grandma saved the day - the leaf was still there! There were all these nuts on the ground by our car. I honestly think that we could have stayed right there where we parked and let her pick up the nuts and put them down and she would have been fine. She never would have missed the zoo! But we pried her away :). She didn't realize what she would have missed.







She did amazingly well at picking out the things we pointed out to her, like the animal that was kind of far away between a couple trees. She was really taking it in and enjoying all the freedom. It was so wonderful to be able to let her walk around! We had a great time. More to come.


Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

s as in tset said...

Looks like fun!

Clarence and Ruth said...

A great time was had by all! What a fun week!

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

How fun! Glad they could come and see you. I ran into them at Taco Johns in Altoona not too long ago :)